Welcome to Pohlen Hospital
HOSPITAL VISITING UNDER COVID-19 Alert Level 1
Visiting hours are: 10.00am to 4.00pm
Outside these hours – by arrangement only
Please ensure the following:
- Sign in and complete the visitor register / health declaration
- Please bring and wear a mask at all times when in the hospital
- Do not visit if you are unwell – see your GP or phone the Healthline on 0800 358 5453
- Use hand sanitiser before and after entering and exiting the hospital
- Sneeze / cough into your elbow
Maternity visiting hours are: 10.00am – 12.00pm / 5.00pm – 7.00pm
- All visitors must sign the Visitors Register
- All visitors must complete a Health Declaration each time they visit
- Hand sanitiser must be used on arrival and on leaving the hospital
Welcome to Pohlen Hospital, a private 33-bed charitable trust hospital. The land and capital for the buildings was all donated, with 180,000 pounds gifted by Joseph Pohlen (to go towards the building of a district general hospital). The facility is named after the major donor.
The hospital is independent of the Waikato District Health Board (WDHB) but is governed by a Board of Trustees which represent the community, however Pohlen does hold key WDHB contracts for areas of care including Maternity, Primary (GP Beds), Aged Care, Transitional, Palliative and End of Life, Respite and Carer Support. Therefore, if patients receive care under these contracts their care, in most cases, is free.
Pohlen has a range of in-house services and consultants that patients can access if required.
Our commitment is to our patients and our goal is to assist you and your loved ones in any capacity you require.
Our friendly, professional staff will take the time to get to know you and your family, so your care can be personalised and you can be sure that your wishes respected.
We are situated in the heart of Matamata, with lovely gardens and views of the Kaimai Ranges.
We have single rooms with ensuites and share rooms, all of which have outdoor access.
There is also four maternity rooms and two delivery suites.
Pohlen Hospital also has strong links and connections with local churches.